AA Member gets DUI, blows 3x over the limit, on the way to Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting

Man admits driving drunk to AA meeting

"WAMPSVILLE, N.Y. — A 30-year-old central New York man admits he was drunk when he hit a parked pickup truck on his way to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

The Oneida Dispatch reports (http://bit.ly/MfovA1 ) that Nathaniel Snyder of Sherrill pleaded guilty to a felony count of aggravated driving while intoxicated in Madison County Court on Monday. Police say his blood alcohol level was three times the legal limit when he was arrested March 19.

Police say Snyder was speeding when he lost control of his car on a curve and went off the road, hitting a pickup truck parked in a driveway.

Snyder had a prior DWI conviction in 2008. His attorney says Snyder has been sober ever since the accident. He'll be sentenced on Sept. 20."

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP0595f4ff0f484956ace830d9e881d1eb.html

- - - - - -

I wonder if Mr. Snyder was sentenced to AA in 2008 when he was convicted the first time. His lawyer claims that Snyder has been sober since his recent accident. What happened to the powerlessness of his disease... or has he had a spiritual experience or religious awakening already....why didn't he have it the first time?

Personally, I grew up with a lot of drunkenness in my surroundings. It is now to the point that being around intoxicated people reaches my last nerve. If I was in an AA or NA and a falling down drunk came along to participate, it would have been very conflicting and likely upsetting to me.

How do you feel about this? For those that have been sober for some time, would being around drunkenness irritate or upset you?

Comments

Thanks Avo,
I remember going to meetings where they would announce that you could not share if you had been drinking. No one ever gave a thought to how those who had been drinking got to the meeting.

Often when people are high on drugs it isn't as obvious, but drunkenness is very much so. The smell, the staggering, it's like the personality gets magnified. If someone gets out of hand, which I've seen happen (can't say they were intoxicated), who is to ask them to leave? It's up to the other members that are sick and "diseased", struggling. I'm glad I didn't see too much of it when I was at meetings.

Pro Empowerment!

Clara's picture

We had something like that, too. A couple of people would take the person into the next room where they could talk with him/her.

Remember Christopher Stevens when you vote.

JR Harris's picture

"See your man alone, if possible." BB p.91, Working With Others

~You can not moderate the truth. Just don't lie, steal or make stuff up out of thin air and expect to get away with it without it being pointed out to you. It's really very simple.~

Clara's picture

It's to avoid disruption, JR. Even drunk, a person has a right to be at a meeting. That's what you want, a crying jag. Better to ust go off with some others and keep it contained a bit.

JR Harris's picture

Alcoholic disrupts service at AA meeting, told to leave

published by JR Harris on Sun, 01/01/2012 - 07:32

Darrin Porter, 45 was arrested for showing up drunk and carrying a beer at an AA meeting in Cincinnati, Ohio on Monday December 26, 2011, 15 minutes after Christmas day officially ended. Apparently Mr. Porter showed up looking for help in controlling his drinking while the Alcoholics Anonymous mass was being held in AA Area 56 of Southwest Ohio in Hamilton County in the 513 area code:

http://www.aaarea56.org

Darrin Porter was arrested at the "12 Step House in College Hill" and it is unknown if the incident happened before, after or during the ritual chanting of the 12 commandments of Bill Wilson. A record search for "12 Step House in College Hill" turns up.....

Read more: http://orange-papers.org/forum/node/598

~You can not moderate the truth. Just don't lie, steal or make stuff up out of thin air and expect to get away with it without it being pointed out to you. It's really very simple.~

I realize that the people who drive to meetings intoxicated typically are not dangerously drunk; however they may be legally over the limit. An AA leader would never call the police on someone who drove to a meeting drunk. The prospect of loosing a potential member would far outweigh any risk to society in the leaders mind.
"You are safe here, AA is a safe place."
Is what they would say.

alkieanon's picture

disclosure claims: "An AA leader would never call the police on someone who drove to a meeting drunk. The prospect of loosing a potential member would far outweigh any risk to society in the leaders mind." Proof? Or BS speculation?

Bet that you just happen to have a handy breathalyzer to make an accurate assessment of whether the person is legally over the limit.

First I would like to say that it is not necessary to use a breathalyzer to detect impairment in a drinker, that would be obvious to anyone.
My statement "An AA leader would never call the police on someone who drove to a meeting drunk" was based on 30 years of general observation and participation in AA. This coupled with deductive reasoning considered the most likely possibilities. There are many variables that would cause variations to this behavior within the groups, however, in my geographic location the instances of irresponsibility that I observed were in the high ninety percentile.

Here is a question for you; what is the genesis of your accusatory question? Is it possible that it is emotion related to your being offended by my statement and not rational thinking?

alkieanon's picture

First I would like to say that it is not necessary to use "science based evidence" arguments any more, that would be obvious to anyone.

Conjecture, of course. Since no such instances really happened. Possibilities only, no actualities.

Here is a question for you: what is the genesis of your accusatory claim? Is it possible that it is false emotion related to your being a "concern troll" and not rational thinking?

live_free_or_die's picture

Mr. Snyder was not working hte program, obviously.

Dr. Jerry Neil Rand was not working the program either.

It Works If You Work It.

That's probably true Disclosure, about sponsors. Do they take the keys away? I once, only one time, called my sponsor for a ride when I had used and was too high to drive. She wouldn't give me a ride, said I should learn my lesson once and for all. This after one time asking a favor. I still didn't drive, and made a call to real friend that did help me out. My former sponsor was a real "winner" let me tell you. She blew off her bills and traveled around the country instead. She also used her sponsees (others, not me because I bailed) for monetary help with her unfortunate situation. Not too bad off if you can travel though huh?

Pro Empowerment!

Clara's picture

I have a renter that sounds like that. She would take trips because it would only cost her meals while everything else was paid for so of course she has to take advantage of the opportunity. But she would forget that it took hours from her job that she wouldn't be paid for. Seemed to think it was just fine and I should understand....

We had a woman that often showed up drunk and we would stand in front of her car. It worked most times and we would give her a lift. One day, she revved that motor and we scattered! Off she went. Don't know if she would have laid us out right there at the club but we sure didn't take any chances. She's been sober for over 2 years now.

I think we can give someone the benefit of a break but we don't have to become their "designated driver."

In early 1980 I had gone to a few daytime weekend AA meetings where I said I could not get to an evening meeting sober because by 8pm I was drunk. They told me to go anyway, so I did. I was loud and stank so they took me outside and talked to me and I got in my car and drove home drunk. Soon after I went to a rehab to dry out. The entertainment of the fellowship and my resolve kept me sober until the compulsion passed. The only person who can keep me sober is me. I will never drink/drug again. I go to xa meetings now because I am an old man with little-else to do.
Long Island Bob O.