Singleness of purpose

"Now let’s take the guy full of faith, but still reeking of alcohol. He believes he is devout. His religious observance is scrupulous. He’s sure he still believes in God, but suspects that God doesn’t believe in him. He takes pledges and more pledges. Following each, he not only drinks again, but acts worse than the last time. Valiantly he tries to fight alcohol, imploring God’s help, but the help doesn’t come. What, then can be the matter?"

To clergymen, doctors, friends and families, the alcoholic who means well and tries hard is a heartbreaking riddle. To most A.A.’s he is not. There are too many of us who have been just like him, and have found the riddle’s answer. This answer has to do with the quality of faith rather than its quantity. This has been our blind spot. We supposed we had humility when really we hadn’t. We supposed we had been serious about religious practices when, upon honest appraisal, we found we had been only superficial. Or, going to the other extreme, we had wallowed in emotionalism and had mistaken it for true religious feeling. In both cases, we had been asking something for nothing. The fact was we really hadn’t cleaned house so that the grace of God could enter us and expel the obsession. In no deep or meaningful sense had we ever taken stock of ourselves, made amends to those we had harmed, or freely given to any other human being without any demand for reward. We had not even prayed rightly. We had always said, "Grant me my wishes" instead of "They will be done." Therefore we remained self-deceived, and so incapable of receiving enough grace to restore us to sanity."

Still crazy after all these years?

"In no way, shape or form, however, was the idea conceived to avoid guiding our beloved newcomer along the path of spiritual progress. Quite the contrary, our whole purpose as recovered alcoholics, was and is to help the next person achieve sobriety. If that person is a real alcoholic his only hope is God. So in its most basic and simplest terms our only real purpose is to help the still-suffering alcoholic to find God. A loving God, a healing God is the alcoholic's only real hope."
http://www.barefootsworld.net/aahplightbulb.html

Alcoholics Anonymous' singleness of purpose is to find god.

How is that not a religion?

Comments

"Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us" ~ the Big Book pg. 77

Pro Empowerment!

we all know what the BB definition of singleness of purpose is. However, the primary, the single, the ultimate purpose of aa is the development of belief and faith in an interventionist god. During meditation (BB definition) this god will reveal his will for the believer. And as with all extreme religions, the goal of the faithful is the conversion of others.

alkieanon's picture

Silly rabbit! The primary purpose (singleness of purpose or goal) "is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety."

steve cochrane's picture

are not the same.

steve cochrane's picture

never ends. It is our greatest gift that we give to ourselves. Ever present. AA does not teach that. Again I"ll walk you through the steps on this forum. We will discusss them openly. So I can point out to you how fucked they really are! You game?? Name a time at the ok corral.

becket's picture

"Purpose never ends"? "purpose: the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists" - purpose can end at the drop of a hat. Try again.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”
― Christopher Hitchens, Letters to a Young Contrarian

live_free_or_die's picture

from the original post above:

If that person is a real alcoholic his only hope is God. So in its most basic and simplest terms our only real purpose is to help the still-suffering alcoholic to find God.

This sentence, from a pro AA website, makes it clear what the purpose of AA/12 steps.

Seems clear. In its most basic form, the PURPOSE of AA/12 steps is to find god. Clear. Exact. Precise. On point.

LFOD's Blog http://www.orange-papers.org/forum/blog/10857 ©2014

AA: MyNotGodHasItCovered®
http://www.expaa.org/
http://noforcedaa.weebly.com/
NOT AA: Rational Recovery, SOS, HAMS

How can you ignore the words of the Big Book alkie? It's right there, plain as day. Easy to see and read. They say the crap your talking about (purpose is to help people quit drinking) in the preamble. That's to suck people into the program where they will find out what the real purpose is: Indoctrination and God. Religion.

Pro Empowerment!

alkieanon's picture

Only in your mind will you find what you spout: Indoctrination and God. Religion.

steve cochrane's picture

(: Listen.

alkieanon's picture

Three men are in a hot air balloon. Soon, they find themselves lost in a canyon somewhere.
One of the three men says, "I have got an idea. We can call for help in this canyon and the echo will carry our voices far." He leans over the basket and yells out, "Helllloooooo! Where are we?"
They hear the echo several times. 15 minutes later, they hear this echoing voice, "Helllloooooo! You are lost!"
One of the men says, "That must have been an Orange Papers Forum member."
Puzzled, one of the other men asks, "Why do you say that?"
The man replies, "For three reasons: 1) he took a long time to answer, 2) he was absolutely correct, and 3) his answer was absolutely useless."

alkieanon's picture

Real purpose is life. Got milk? Real. Simple.

steve cochrane's picture

Please explain. While your at it explain simple. Oh,by the way you don't have to explain what milk is. Well you can if you want.

How do we 'stay sober'?: An interventionist god will perform that miracle specially for alcoholics because they are the chosen people.
How do we 'help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety'? Preach and convert.

alkieanon's picture

Free asks: "How do we 'help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety?" Don't Drink and you won't get drunk.

steve cochrane's picture

at its best. You white knucklin mutherf--er!!

alkieanon's picture
steve cochrane's picture

Carry that around with you. Always to remind you. Right Alkie? Come on, step on in. (: Oh by the way Alkie I believe in miracles. Mine just don't pop out if nowhere.

alkieanon's picture

Free says: "An interventionist god will perform that miracle specially for alcoholics because they are the chosen people." There you have it in a nutshell. Word!

becket's picture

You want to know what simple is. alkieanon gives it to you. They you whine because the example is not profound. You're a contrary motherfu**er.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”

Wow. wilson was a stone cold walking & talking psych ward. This billshit is unbelievable. Telling people the appropriate way to practice their religion & belief & interactions with God. How in God's name is this billshit still around? How can any sane person a judge or doctor recommend this insanity to anyone? This guy wilson just needed to fill a book with psycho babble to earn a living. The book had to be full of words & he had nothing so he just made up all this billshit pseudo religion. Evil.

patti

becket's picture

Very good, patti. You're really making some strides in picking up the cultspeak.

steve cochrane's picture

of nowhere is what I meant to say. Look in the mirror Alkie. You are a miracle. I am not joking. I hope that you see your best friend. AA does not teach this. Read the steps. If you want I will read them with you. I tried Alkie. 13 years of trying. It wasn't until I stopped AA was then I found answers and relief. If you have found it the AA way. Then so be it. My AA experience was not good!!

becket's picture

It's clear that steve's answer is not alkieanon's answer. Does anyone here believe steve's concession - "If you have found it the AA way. Then so be it." - is genuine and that this will be the end of it?

Suckers.

of the BB, much like the Xaa. I don't understand your purpose here.

alkieanon's picture

Keeping it real.

JR Harris's picture

2. Special Pleader Stepper – The hidden agenda, 2nd most dangerous
They attend AA meetings because they have a stake in making sure that AA survives. They go, not to help the group to solve the problem of Alcoholism, but to protect their interests. Discussion is a platform from which they can air their rights and wishes. They are there to protect special interests (such as a Sober House or Rehab) and are willing to fight for a larger flow of customers. Often teams up with the Aggressive Stepper. http://orange-papers.org/forum/node/189

~You can not moderate the internet. Just don't lie, steal or make stuff up out of thin air and expect to get away with it without it being pointed out to you. It's really very simple.~

alkieanon's picture

Trying the pigeonhole principle?

steve cochrane's picture

Not very principled from what I hear. But hey,who am I to judge. Step in stepper.

becket's picture

steve says, "But hey,who am I to judge?"

What does he think we've been telling him for months?

is the only judge to be judging the judgeable around here. The judge has judged it to be so.

steve cochrane's picture

how we bought this stuff. Even for a little while. To this day I cannot belive that I could be so swayed. But what is done is done. There are many, that do not get to type this message of gratitude. For this I am grateful,and for those that seek (another way)/ I will encourage them.
Remember, Only you can help you. You have power!!

alkieanon's picture

"After the defeat of that mighty monarch, Mithridates, Gnaeus Pompeius found in his private cabinet a recipe for an antidote in his own handwriting; it was to the following effect: Take two dried walnuts, two figs, and twenty leaves of rue; pound them all together, with the addition of a grain of salt; if a person takes this mixture fasting, he will be proof against all poisons for that day."

How do you approach BB?

alkieanon's picture

Be vewy, vewy caweful (quiet).

JR Harris's picture

alkieanon, it is obvious you are here to provide AA loopholes and protect the prospect hunting grounds of the cult of Alcoholics Anonymous. What is your stake in doing this?

P.S. thanks for keeping your google addon beacon active........

~You can not moderate the internet. Just don't lie, steal or make stuff up out of thin air and expect to get away with it without it being pointed out to you. It's really very simple.~

alkieanon's picture

Buffalo hunt?

JR Harris is gone fishing again: "P.S. thanks for keeping your google addon beacon active" As Agent 86 says: "Would you believe SIRi"?

steve cochrane's picture

even assemble a grubstake. Do you even know what one is?

steve cochrane's picture

You're avatar pic says it all. Step out foe!!

becket's picture

I do believe alkieanon has you on a short leash, steve.

becket's picture

" . . . and for those that seek (another way)/ I will encourage them.":

"Another way" different than what you are currently doing? That would include AA, would it not? That would include Scientology, would it not? That would include Buddhism, would it not? That would include suicide, would it not? I'm assuming conventional Christian religion is out, seeing as how you specify that only the individual can help himself. That would exclude a Christian God, correct?

steve cochrane's picture

And by who? Says that this is the cure ?,remedy,? temporary remedy? Remedy for what? For what ever ills ya?? Kinda like AA? You know Alkie,not only do thinking people exist in our past. We are here along with you today. You know .I realize that I am not a very smart man in the typical sense but I got balls AND heart!! They could only interpret what they were handed down. They were incapable of knowing more than that ,only(presuming) what God told them or what direction man should go. Its Bullshit!!Who gave them this authority? We did, and still do. Lets go you intellectual muthafu---er!! AA is not healthy. While it may keep people from not drinking(because of peer pressure) for awhile. It never and I will say never, gets to the root cause of why people hurt themselves with alcohol and drugs. It is brainwashing/faith healing in plain sight. Peace.

Ok, so you you don't buy all the BB dogma. Xaa have raised a lot of valid concerns about abuses in the rooms. Do you discount them all? Do you believe aa is benign?

alkieanon's picture

Free says: "Ok, so you you don't buy all the BB dogma. Xaa have raised a lot of valid concerns about abuses in the rooms. Do you discount them all? Do you believe aa is benign?"

Ok, so I don't have to buy all the xAA or OPF dogma either. Who's concerns? Theirs or mine? If I there is no direct knowledge, then it has to be taken at face value. Do you believe that AA has to do your bidding when you snap your fingers?

Could you expand just a bit more?

"If that person is a real alcoholic his only hope is God. So in its most basic and simplest terms our only real purpose is to help the still-suffering alcoholic to find God. A loving God, a healing God is the alcoholic's only real hope."
http://www.barefootsworld.net/aahplightbulb.html

AA/12 steppers that can't admit that AA's SOP is to find god are simply in denial.